Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Thinking about my mom

Dear Precious Children: I have been thinking about my own mother lately. Maybe it is because so many of my high school friends have found me on "Facebook" and that is a unqiue group of souls who actually knew and remember my mom. I lost my mom to heart disease towards the end of my senior year in high school. It is interesting to me the things people remember about my mom, as well as what I recall. Many folks remember that my house was the "place to be". It was the fun house. My parents were always cool. I was not one of those teenagers that was embarassed to be around my parents. My mom was funny and creative and always interested in what I was doing. She could be blunt in telling the truth. I loved that about her. I am often the same way. She was so innovative. She could make something out of nothing. She liked to work in the yard. When I see a purple iris or an orange tiger lilly, I think fo her. She even had a rock garden, and would paint rocks with little faces. She was an artist. She could draw amazing pictures. I wish I had that talent, but I do not. She could sew like nobody's business. She made many of my clothes for most of my childhood. She could cut hair. She could make fudge, and it was so delicious. She did not drive a car. She also had a strong fear of music concerts. She never wanted me to go to one. She also wouldn't let me out of the house on New Year's Eve for fear of the crazy drunk people. She smoked cigarettes until she was 40 years old. She had false teeth since she was in her twenties I think. She was a middle child - an older brother and sister, and a younger brother and sister. Her birthday was January 4, 1942. She use to comment that her birthday seemed "not so special" because it was so close after Christmas.

Anyway, I could go on and on about my mom. I miss her so much. I realize I have been alive longer without her than I was alive with her, and I hate that I am raising my kids and enjoying marriage while she is in Heaven. I know people say she is "looking down on us", but it is not quite the same as being able to call her up and ask for a recipe, etc. I do thank the Good Lord for awesome moms-in-laws. God gave me two, and they are both precious to the bone. But I miss my mom. Still. Always. Sometimes now, more than when I was younger.

Of course, maybe I'm thinking about my mom a lot lately because I'm sick. I swear it doesn't matter how old you are, you still wish your had your mom to cuddle with when you don't feel good. Dad is good too, but he isn't exactly nearby.

So, I wonder what you kids will remember about me. What silly stories will you tell? What strange things will come to your mind when you think about me and your childhoods? What kind of legacy will I leave behind. Don't worry, I'm not planning on going anywhere any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment