Monday, January 19, 2009

It's a Holiday

Hey kids, it's a holiday. It's Martin Luther King day. He was before my time, but I know who he is. I know he was important. I love that this holiday falls immediately before the innauguration of Obama. Yes, he's our new President. Another moment in history. Victoria is probably the only one of you who will remember this event. My dear sweet boys, I am sure you could not care less. Not today anyway. But you will. Someday. I just know it. I'm not really intending for my "Letters to Kids" to be political, but it is a rather historical and definitely political event. I am sure you kids will ask me one day if I voted for him. If you know me at all you will know the answer.

So tomorrow is a new day. A new era perhaps. I am more concerned with the immediate "here and now". I start a new Bible Study tomorrow at Church. I am very excited about this. I'll have a leader I've never had before. I'm sure she's awesome. The boys will enjoy Sonshine classes. Yes, I love Tuesday mornings. So I'll get a new leader for Bible Study and a new leader for my country. I guess time will tell which I enjoy more.

Also - worthy of note - Mark moves out tomorrow. We love him dearly, but he is a foreign exchange student from Russia who has been staying with us for about a week or so. He was "homeless" so to speak, and it will be nice to get him and his belongings to a perm. place. I'm sure he will be happy too. My good friend Andrea is taking him for the remainder of the school year. So one less person to feed is okay with me :) But he's a great kid, so we've enjoyed his visit. I'm sure he will do well at Andrea's house. We also had another temporary visitor, Philipp. He is now settled in Arizona. He was an exchange student from Germany. I wonder what memories you kids will have of all these various foreign exchange students who come in and out of our lives. I hope you remember their positive impact. I hope we are raising you to embrace diversity.

So while the nation prepares for a major milestone this week, we are just waiting for baby James to crawl. Yes, you are SO close. You are almost there.

I am excited that Sir Thomas is no longer afraid to poop in the potty. Yes, your fear of falling in the toilet is now GONE.

I am thrilled that Prince William picks out his own clothes and dresses himself without help or hesitation. You don't even throw your clothes all over the floor anymore. WhooHoo. Now, if you'd just stop coloring on the walls, we'd be even happier.

Last but never least, Queen Victoria is our eternal artist. Presently, you are in the midst of negotiations with your father trying to gain permission to paint your own room. I think you both have comprised somewhat (for the moment). You tell me that you hate to be "put in a box". Yet, being the ever witty and clever girl that you are, you closed with the remark .... "but if you throw some crayons in my box, I'll be okay!"

And on that note, I'll say goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment