Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Grandpa's Birthday

Dear Kids

Today is my daddy's birthday. Your grandpa! He was born in 1942. You do the math if you want :)

He is a great father. We lost my mom when I was just 17 yrs old, and we are very close. We both even got married the same year (1993). I married your father the year Grandpa married Nana Judy! You do the math if you want :)

Your grandpa is a 'tell it like it is' kinda guy. He won't butt into your business, but if you ask his opinion, you better be ready to hear it! He doesn't sugar coat much. He was a plumber for all of his working adult life, commercial plumbing. He is recently retired. He still has a Chevrolet truck he bought when I was 12. I am now 41. You do the math if you want :)

He likes to fish - he likes Suduko puzzles. He likes to work in the garden. He likes to read the paper every day - the real newspaper. He reads books too, novels. I think he still likes Louis Lamor. Not sure how to spell that. He's just recently discovered the internet and email and Facebook, although he rarely uses such. Or maybe he does and he's the stealth stalker type who reads but never comments!

Your grandpa is truly a great guy and has always been a great father to me. He always encouraged me to follow my heart and follow my dreams. When I took off to California at the age of 20 for a new job- - he didn't throw a fuss, he drove with me and flew back home to VA. Yep, me and my daddy drove cross country together from VA to CA!! It was a blast and we did NOT take the short route! When I told him I was getting married to your father - he quickly started talking about plans.

He taught me good work ethic. He hardly ever missed work -and if he did - something was horribly wrong. He was always there for me, and still is - even though we live in TX and he is still in my hometown back in VA. He is truly a family man. He hasn't got a lazy bone in his body. He's the kind of guy who is always eager with a helping hand.

As you know, my maiden name was Oliver and so my dad's name is William Oliver. William, you were named (as our first born son) after grandpa! You know Grandpa must be a cool guy if we named our first born son after him right? Grandpa was there in the hospital, all day long, the day I gave birth to you William.

Anyway, in honor of great dads and grandpas everywhere, here is a picture of my sweet daddy holding sweet William when he was just a baby. The two William Olivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment